Friday, September 19, 2008

The Things You Get with Blue Chip Stamps

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was all about Misty Knight from the old Power Man and Iron Fist back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I will ALWAYS love Chris Claremont's X-Men and the usual fanboy faves. But for a little black kid growing up, I was hungry for any positive representations of black people. These stories really spoke to me, and gave me something to look forward to. This has been something I have forgotten in recent weeks...
This summer has been one of the worst summers on record for me. Going a gruelling quarter of grad school, ex-boyfriend drama, and seeing someone I care for deeply go through one of the most trying periods of his life, really shook me to my core. While it seemed as though me and the people I loved were taking hits from all sides, I lost sight of the lesson I learned from one Misty Knight.
Life is not fair to anyone. Not to my friends, my family, or to me...We loose many things on the journey we call Life. A lover, a friend, sanity, even our right arm (like Misty's). But the challenge for us as people is come back stronger than we were before, and never lose sight of the qualities and the connections to give meanings our lives. That truth became evident to me when I saw what my dearest friend went through. I have a new found respect for him, and I think our friendship (I feel) has truly deepened.
The new quarter just started this week, and I am well ready for whatever life has to throw at me. Just like Misty Knight. My grandmother used to always talk about "the things you can buy with blue chip stamps" . She never lied.

2 comments:

Wonder Man said...

I agree

Unknown said...

Is she still alive? I thought she and another female character received their own comic book for a while.