Friday, June 6, 2008

So they think I Can Dance...


Yes, it's me again...I am trying to make more of an effort to be more consistent with my blog entries, and to get my body back into its "fighting weight". Only time will tell if I am successful in either category. Now on to my reason for this new post.
As I was doing my usual thing at work (yes, I do work!) I was approached by the minions to participate in a dance routine for the company's annual planning day festivities. Planning day is this event wherein all the branches of the company get together to connect, have fun, and see what we can do make things better and embarrass each other. But then there is the "other" component; the entertainment portion of the program. My office has decided that we would be doing a dance routine for this get together...
I don't know whether I should be flattered or insulted for being asked to be in the actual routine and help choreograph. Don't get me wrong; I can drop it like it's hot and be as "bootylicious " and work my pudding as good as(and sometimes better than) the average dancing queen, but why would these people want me to play in their reindeer games? For the longest time, I felt as though I did not fit in with the new group coming in, and now I am doing my best Paula Abdul (late 80's, not the train wreck she is today) impersonation for this event. Is it because I'm gay, or black, or both? Hmmmmm.....
Well anyways, we had our first rehearsals this week, and I really put Richard Simmons to shame with my snappy ensemble (complete with headband and faux legwarmers circa-Flashdance), the huge buckets of sweat that rolled off my frame as we worked our way through the steps. As any of my friends (and fans) will tell you, I sweat alot. So much so, that in my younger days I would bring three extra shirts to change into when I went dancing.
Being a child of the 70's and 80's who consumed lots of television (and cartoons in particular), I have to come away from these situations with the idea that I have learned something from the experience like they always did at the end of the show. I learned two valuable lessons from my Xana-dance, step it up journey: (1) That I need to trim off some of ample assets. Seeing yourself in the cruel cruel gaze of the mirror as you move is a sobering and humbling experience. (2) I still have some moves. All those hours of watching Soul Train, Solid Gold, and Friday Night Videos really paid off. I still have my flexibility, and when I did my thing , the men all paused.....
Well the show is supposed to happen on June 19th, and I am still memorizing the movies. Wish me luck (or is it break a leg?) You can now add me to list of my friends who are getting rid of that devil called carbs....Argh!

2 comments:

Wonder Man said...

I was just like you, dancing and thinking I could be Leroy from Fame. I wish you luck

Alex said...

This is so true, because Fame costs. And right here is where you start paying in sweat...LOL...