Sunday, October 12, 2008

Take A Look Around You, At Least You've Got Your Friends...

Well another weekend rolled around, and the Scooby Gang was right in the thick of it. After much last minute thinking, we were on our way to Oil Can Harrys for another night of fun and frolic. John was at the wheel, and we spent the ride up talking about everything under the sun. It was great to have a new friend tag along for the adventure. At the Honey Comb Hideout, the music was bumping and the alcohol was flowing freely. We took our places along the wall, took in the whole space. Contrary to popular belief, I can be shy and reluctant to go up to a guy and let him know that may be interested. Coming out of a long term relationship (and gaining the post relationship 25lbs) has also left me painfully self conscious about pursuing a serious dating situation with anybody at this point. I am too old and far too burned from my last experience to consider serial dating. Just as these thoughts were going through my head as I was dancing, up came this strapping man in a tank and jeans who came swaggering next to me. I have always had a thing for bald guys with a goatee, and he fit the bill nicely. As the music played on, he came closer and closer, and I must admit, I was excited. As the sound ended I did something I almost never do; I scurried off the dance floor and took safety in the comfort of my friends.
Leave it to Chris to let me know that I was being silly for being such a scaredy cat and encouraged me to go back out there and get to know the guy. I eventually did, and found out that he was a nice guy (named Steve) and we danced a little more before he had to go. The first baby steps to getting through it all...I just have to say thanks to my buds for getting me out of my rut, while at the same time giving me the space I need to move forward at my own pace...And thanks to the Scooby Gang for not laughing too loud when this random woman pulled me away to dance with her and groped me after we finished our dance.. You guys will never know how much you mean to me.....Those guys we met from Long Beach looked like good friends, but they were nothing like us...Long Live the Scoobies!!

5 comments:

Christopher said...

Alex,you're a diva! You party harder than anyone I know!

Alex said...

We are the NeNe and Kim of Our Bunch.. I am serious there needs to be a reality tv show about us: the Real Queens of Kern County..

Greg said...

I'm glad your friends pushed you back out of your shell and got you to talk to the guy. Baby steps....

Unknown said...

"that's what friends are for...."

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your blog and post your photos fantastic that I loved to lose your blog. thank you very much. Receive a cordial greeting.